Personalized Representation That Puts You First

Bill could mean no more jail for failure to pay child support

On Behalf of | Dec 1, 2021 | Family Law |

For many years, there has been a law in place to send noncustodial parents who do not pay their court-mandated child support payments to jail. However,  New York could soon end the practice of sending these parents to jail. . The proposal, first introduced in the state legislature last year, would mean courts will no longer be able to put the parent on probation or in jail because of nonpayment of child support.

The people who were involved with writing the proposal said they feel that punishing the noncustodial parent for not paying child support is counterproductive. If anything, proponents say, being in jail will become a greater obstacle to the parent’s ability to pay.

Child support can be a complicated and sensitive issue

If you are experiencing issues related to your child support situation, it is sensible to consult a lawyer who has experience handling child support cases. The lawyer will be able to guide you through every step of the process. You deserve to be treated sensitively and with compassion. It is also important that you become aware of all of your options so that you can intelligently choose the best possible option in your particular situation.

Another issue that you will not want to overlook is how child support issues affect the child and the custodial parent. You will want to do what is best and what is in the best interest of the child. The ultimate goal is for everyone in the family to get along and to make sound decisions that make sense and that do not cause dissention.

The consequences of not paying child support

All of the states have statutes that address a noncustodial parent’s failure to pay child support. There will always be a consequence but the court will decide the actual consequences on a case-by-case basis.

If you are falling behind in your child support payments, you could soon face severe debt problems and legal difficulties. A lawyer can help explain your options for modifying your child support order until you can get your finances under better control.