Picture “Family Law” as an umbrella. This legal practice focuses on issues like child custody, adoption, divorce, and family relationships. Attorneys who practice family law have the capacity to represent their clients in family court or by negotiations like property agreements and court petitions.
At the Claudio & Associates law firm, we focus exclusively on the needs of the clients facing matrimonial and family disputes. Handling a number of family law and matrimonial issues, we also represent in divorce, orders of protection in a family offense petition, spousal support and other related issues.
We make sure to advise you intelligently, providing you with an array of options. Whether the options are traditional adversarial approaches like litigation and trial or collaborative and non-adversarial, Claudio & Associates works toward your best interest.
Some terms you should be familiar with:
- Prenuptial Agreement: An agreement made between a couple before marrying in which they give up future rights to each other’s property in the event of a divorce or death.
- Marital Property: Property acquired by either spouse during the course of a marriage that is subject to division upon divorce.
- Emancipation: A court process through which a minor becomes self-supporting, assumes adult responsibility for his or her welfare, and is no longer under the care of his or her parents.
- Paternity: Origin or descent from a father (to establish paternity is to confirm the identity of a child’s biological father).
- Alimony: An allowance made to one spouse by the other for support during or after a legal separation or divorce.